Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Birthday!!!!

The coming of my birthday brought on one of the most touching things that my 4 year old had done or thought of to do for me yet.
The weekend before my birthday we told Big Sis that mommy’s birthday is in about a week. She acted excited and then went about her business. Then on Tuesday of that week we were hanging together w/o Baby Girl. We went to Kohl’s to return some things and then I stopped to look at the picture frames. Well that didn’t interest Big Sis so she asked if she could go look at the greeting cards nearby. I let her go still able to see her out of the corner of my eye. Few minutes later she brought me a card to look at and said, “Look mommy this is a card for a first birthday.” I told her yes it is but we don’t know anybody turning one right now. Her response, I know but I just like it.” I reply, “Okay.” A few minutes go by while we are looking at our own things (me – picture frames, her- kid greeting cards), she said the most thoughtful thing. “Mommy I should be looking at a card for you.” Surprised that she was that thoughtful to think of that on her own and not have the ‘I want I want’ attitude that happens quite frequently at this age, I was even surprised that she remembered what we had told her in passing 2 days prior.
Wanting to foster this thought and giving spirit that she naturally has and has demonstrated in other areas, I asked her a few questions to make her think about what card to get Mommy. I’m acting as if I’m not Mommy at this point and she chose a great card. I looked at the price tag and found the money in my purse. I gave her the cash and she held on to it the entire time we looked around the store. Then it came check out time and she paid all on her own as if I didn’t know or see. Actually on my birthday it was wonderful weather. I got some alone time in the morning then all of us took a nap and then off to the park to play. My MS was starting to flare up so wanting to go play and chase kids around the park was not high on my list, but spending time with my family was, so I sucked it up. We went to Sylvan Spring Park where I could sit and watch a bit and then I decided to forgo the pain and have some fun in the leaves with the girls. With the fun of the day, the sweet story earlier in the week and the 7 course dinner at an awesome winery I'll get to have the week after, it was a GREAT birthday.

No comments: